Amp It Up To: Stellafonix Radio

Radio is something that is mainly accessible to every single one of us; whether that be in the poring rain whilst stuck on the M25 on a Friday night bottleneck, or perhaps whilst you lay back to watch the sun slip down past the horizon on your summer camping trip. The soundwaves that emit are always easy-going and educational ( in some cases) to what we can and should be listening to. 


As of the past few years, depending where you look in the UK the radio scene offers an exquisite perspective when of the main stream frequencies. Unless you are aware of the new music nights that are usually digestible for a tasteful music fan, are Phil Taggart and Alice Levine's 10-12pm airtime on Radio 1. Perhaps the single show that actually engages what you can find at a fairly decent hour at a fairly easy tuning. Of course if you live in the London/Manchester region you are treated to the likes of Xfm, promoting new music left right and centre. But as I'm sure you aware, the basic listening of Kiss 101 pop repeats and Nick Grimshaw morning yawns is not nearly satisfying or pallet-clenching as what the rest of us and any listeners of a new age should prosper to. 


So with that in mind, I contemplated over the ore of the music a talk about on ampitupnow and Earbuddy. Whether any of you out there have had experience writing on music, the mutual feeling of awakening and enlightenment comes across as loud as that underground record that made your 2013. But if anything, progression is always vital, especially in the foundations of music. Having thought about this, I realised that wouldn't it be great if I could find work experience of some kind to help fulfil this. I looked around my local area and out of nowhere I stumbled upon my local town(  Frome) to hold the radio station, Frome Fm as a solution. After turning up a month ago for a 6 hour radio training course they accepted my thoughts on what I could host as a show- teaching and sharing the love of new music.
It's fantastic start to exploring different contexts of how you can get your passion over to people, even if it starts as just local.




Last Saturday, I had prepared most of my music for my hourly slot at 7-8 in the evening, which in my opinion is a good slot to have ( all good radio is usually at night) which starts of initially as once a month and builds as I get more comfortable with the studio. I named my show Stellafonix which may sound like a play on the band Stereophonics, but the true meaning (phonics/fonix) is the teaching of people via a correlation of sound-which I thought sounded apt. Also, I had a brilliant director, Sara Vian, to help me get to grips with the controls and then I was off. It's really quite surprising how in control you feel whilst on air, talking about whatever interests you; in my case it was mainly festival season and all the bands that are surfacing. It's also a shock at how many people actually listen in, bearing in mind I'm only 15 when I came back so many people confronted me on my show. Giving shout-outs tends to go down good. But there is no point in having a radio show without the solidity of which bands you play to shine through. I split my show into two halves, the first involving some heavier more rock and indie based material with a band of the month feature, which this week was Darlia and their gut ripping single 'Candyman'. The second, an emphasis of electronica and urban. I gave the definition of my show that it is 'The Melting Pot Of New Music', which is pretty evident by looking at the playlist.



A sample of my playlist included;

. Deap Vally
.  Radkey.


. Wolf Alice
. The Black Keys
. Darlia
. Tame Impala
. Jamie xx
. Bishop Nehru
. Ghostpoet
. Sylvan Esso
. Peace 


Of course, you've probably heard of some of these bands ,  but my first show didn't want to be overly obscure to first time listeners so some new,  but known material can pop up but the show will progress in getting in-between the underground scenes too. I mentioned that next month, when I'm back on I'll be doing an exclusive Glastonbury 2014 Playlist. Looking at The John Peel Stage line up there's plenty of fresh bands debuting. I'll be back on air on Saturday 14th May. Till then you can catch my show here: http://frome.fm/programmes/music/stellafonix/ . 
If you get round to it, there's some great shows also on the station. Pretty much everything to suit your taste.






Comments