Haim: The Ultimate Rise.


                                                                                                     












Precisely after 1 chart smashing album, countless tours and endless front cover magazine features, it would be a stupidly obvious statement to say Haim have made it. 
This time last year i had bought 4 tickets to see Florence and the Machine, in a brief logo underneath the tour dates I didn't even give the supporting act a second glance. How wrong was I. 
I'd had the treat of journeying up to the London O2, being very impressed with the seats I was well enough ready for my first 'proper' indoor gig. As you'd expect the earlier work, - which has proved to be the more successful- was being played out to Haim's largest ever venue. Except out of the 20,000 capacity only a mere few had turned up for Haim, proving exactly how far they've grown in the space of 12 months. Este, as usual was certainly the most humorous at the start of 'Go Slow' she remarked, ' Now this is the one you'll all wanna make baby's too! remember us and this song, the baby making song'. with an slightly embarrassed glance from Danielle to add to the vibe which increased as they're show went on. The fact is, I'm bloody happy that I saw them in that huge arena with perhaps one thousand other people, considering that was the second date of the tour it may of been the first British audience to witness Haim's vibe, the most unforgettable experience was the intense drumming at the end of their set with the finale of 'Better Off' I just remember thinking wow, these chics have such a raw talent. They are everywhere.

However, some argue that yeah, Haim are good, but way to much fuss has been made just from they're debut and way before that too, realistic in some terms I think. Maybe just a few too many Radio 1 guest appearances and perhaps an excessive amount of magazine covers, I've defiantly had a full dosage of Haim from the BBC alone. I agree that some tracks on 'Days Are Gone' sound just too produced to what the sisters should need, compared to tracks such as 'Forever' which as been re-recorded to a more raw sound has proved the best out of their debut than the more concentrated stuff.IS it that Haim are falling into studio-glitz glamour? No, because it all comes in good cause. Being an avid reader of NME, they have been the first females to grace the cover in months ( bearing in mind there's and issue every week) and I think all music magazines follow the same trend because, that's the harsh reality. Haims publicity may seem to much for some but in my opinion its really needed, my understanding of women in the music industry is exceptionally tough, the sisters know it too, as quoted on Este's twitter page, ' If you fuck with my sisters, I'll kill you' they're not just together as sisters, they're inevitably together as Haim. The fact is, there's NO ONE like them out there, it's just what the industry is demanding, even if it regards an LA rock band as a 'Producing the perfect pop album'. 
Their debut 'Days Are Gone' has taken its time to perfect to say the least, it varies too from the heart stomping riff of 'My Song 5' to the inevitably indie record of 'Forever' also being  acquainted with a bonus remix cd featuring Duke Dumont. In result they are the hardest working band I think I've witnessed in an exceptionally long time. But the funnest too... their gobby humour never changes whether greeting David Cameron on a live Politics show or being interviewed after a sharp dosage of crowd surfing. Honest, real and a true indie band. Haim, amp it up for 2014!!

Comments